1. Caterpillar Foundation -1974 to present. Program sponsors, operations support, Environmental
Science Education grant support.
2. Dick Blick – (John Polillo, Executive Vice President of Operations) 1974 to present. Main sponsor of
Art and Science in the Woods and Arts in Education programs providing art supplies, equipment and
financial support for 39 years.
3. Illinois American Water Company – (Karen Cotton, External Affairs Manager) 1993 to present.
Major Sponsor of the Clean Water Celebration Environmental Classroom providing financial
support, marketing, volunteers, in kind services and staff members for the program’s Navigating
4. Illinois Arts Council – Program grant 1972, technical assistance 1973. Grant support for programs
and operations from 1974 to present. Staff professional development and technical support.
5. Root Brothers Manufacturing and Supply Co – RB partners Randy and Nancy Root representing RB,
sustaining donors and sponsors, 1973 to present. In kind program equipment and supplies.
1. Brett Root Ericksen – Manager and co-owner Blue Heron farm, host for the Sun Foundation Art
and Nature Center, Naturalist and Site Manager 1998 to present. Art and Science in the Woods
instructor 1998 to 2007. Art and Science in the Woods Program Director 2008 to present. ASAP
Survival Arts Program Director 2001 to present. Fundraising, program and facility development,
Art and Nature Center staff supervisor.
2. Dr. Merrill Foster – 1974 to present Art and Science in the Woods Geology instructor, Field
Science Fossil and Rock Expedition lead instructor, Dinosaur Day presenter and co sponsor from
1981 to 1991. Potential of the Child Conference presenter 1979, Field Science and Science
Literacy teacher training program 1986 to 1993.
3. Doug Holmes – 1992 to present, Art and Science in the Woods Reptile and Amphibian instructor,
Board member, Clean Water Celebration Environmental Classroom keynote host and break out
session presenter, Reptile and Amphibian Expedition Lead instructor 2007 to present, sustaining
4. Preston Jackson – 1987 to present, Art and Science in the Woods instructor and resident artist.
Sun Foundation Board member and artistic advisor, presenter Dinosaur Day 1991, 2001 Clean
Water Celebration Environmental Classroom presenter, and 2013 Sperm Whale sculpture
exhibit. Winter Warming and Art and Science in the Woods auction donor. Melba and Preston
Jackson are sustaining donors.
5. Bob, Dominique and Danielle Kreie – Bob and Dominique, Art and Science in the Woods
committee, volunteers and silent auction coordinators 2000 to present. Danielle has been an
intern and seasonal staff member from 2002 to present.
6. Judy Lee, Board member 2000 to present, Suzuki School of Music Parent Committee
Chairperson and Program Coordinator, Winter Warming and Art and Science in the Woods
committee member, Volunteer. Jim Richardson and Judy Lee sustaining donors and sustaining in
kind services. Zak Lee Richardson Scout project rebuilding Crow Creek Marsh boardwalk trail.
7. Doug and Eileen Leunig – Doug was a Board member from 1990 to 1993, Clean Water
Celebration Environmental Classroom (Clean Water) program development and marketing
documentary in 1992. Doug and Eileen – Art and Science in the Woods instructors, members
of the Clean Water Navigating committee, sustaining sponsors of Clean Water and Sun
Foundation programs. Photographers providing photo documentation for Sun Foundation
Programs. Proceeds from their photographic exhibits have been donated to support Sun
Foundation programs. Bettye and Jerry Leunig, parents of Doug, were also supporters of the
8. David Marshall – 1974 to present, Arts in Education program Chief Advisor, Board member,
Board Chairman, and Chairman of the Community Arts Access Program Review Committee.
Barbara and David Marshall are long standing sustaining donors.
9. Jim Morrissette – 1975 to present, Art and Science in the Woods videographer instructor. Sun
Foundation Videographer, producer of numerous documentary video productions. Resident
artist and lecture presenter. Mary and Jim Morrissette are sustaining donors.
10. Sharon Obery – Volunteer Coordinator of the Art and Science in the Woods program for 16
years. Chairperson for Art and Science in the Woods committee, volunteer Art and Science in
the Woods TA for 5 years. Sustaining donor and provide in kind services.
11. Lorraine Schwass – Sun Foundation Board Chairperson 2005 to present, committee member
for Winter Warming, Art and Science in the Woods, Clean Water Celebration Environmental
Classroom, and Art and Science in the Woods instructor. Lorraine and Jim Schwass are
sustaining donors and provide in kind services.
12. Libby VerKuilen – Volunteer Art and Science in the Woods Assistant Coordinator for the past
10 years ordering and preparing all class supplies, equipment, signage and health regulations
equipment. Winter Warming Children’s program benefit and silent auction lead coordinator for
the past 6 years. Libby, her husband Mike VerKuilen and their daughter are sustaining donors
and provide numerous in kind services.
13. Karen Zuckerman – 1982 to present, Board member, Chairperson of the Program Committee,
Field Science and Science Literacy Teacher Training Instructor and Coordinator, Art and Science
in the Woods instructor 1993, curriculum development Water Week, Clean Water Celebration
Environmental Classroom Volunteer Coordinator and Navigating Committee Chairperson. Karen
and Richard Zuckerman are sponsors of the Clean Water Celebration program and sustaining